In this episode, Chris Knutson, PE interviews Nader Mowlaee on how to create a winning strategy to build a successful engineering career. They hit on why, and how, to establish your own personal brand and they also dive into core skills development and their importance to engineers, as well as the importance of building and cultivating a network.
- Your personal brand is a representation of your true and authentic self. It is who you are and what you do. Your brand also represents what you do for others and what type of value you are offering them.
- Self-awareness, self-acceptance and reaching out for help is very important when developing your own personal brand. Regardless of who you are, or what problems you have, accept yourself first before trying to work on a solution.
- Observe what others do and never stop reading books.
- Be yourself, accept yourself and go out and ask for help if you need it.
- Things that happen to us, don’t happen to us, they happen because of us. Stop blaming others or the environment for your surrounding and start believing that you are where you and who you are, because of what you have done.
- Only about 15% of your success comes from your technical knowledge, the other 85% comes from human engineering.
- To become better at communication it is important to:
- Understand your goals and WHY you want to achieve them.
- Put the words together and if you don’t know how to do something, ask, listen and do.
- Practice how to say it.
- The size of your networks determines the wealth of your career. The quantity and the size take about 20 % of the whole picture, but the remaining 80 % is the quality of the contacts that you have. Your network contacts provide you the avenue to your next destination.
- You must have the courage to take the next step. If you don’t have the drive to deliver, it’s never going to happen. You must put the energy and fuel into things to make it happen.
- The first person that is going to benefit from making tough decisions is really YOU!
- The level of potential we have will allow us to take certain levels of action. Only the actions that we take will create some results. Without action, there will be no results.
More in this episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, Chris will give you one more additional tactic for chartering your engineering career of success.
About Nader Mowlaee:
Nader believes that you can get everything you want in life if you just help enough other people get what they want. He is inspired by motivating confidence in engineers and helping them take action to move forward towards their career and life goals. His mission is to enable engineers to break away from their fears and create the ideal life and career they want.
Achieve success in any area of life by identifying the optimum strategies and repeating them until they become habits. – Charles J. Givens
Books mentioned in this session include:
|Spark||Ask||Start with Why||Influence||Maximum Achievement|
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
Nader’s LinkedIn Account
Nader’s Facebook Account
TECC 87: Reinventing Yourself So You Can Stand Out in Your Engineering Career
Tony Robbins Motivation for Success – The Success Cycle
The Engineering Mastermind
One-on-One Career Coaching for Engineers
Download Career Progression Chart
This episode is brought to you by PPI, the leader of FE, PE, or SE exam preparations. Use promo code COACH for 20% discount at PPI2Pass.com/coach.
How can you create a winning strategy for an engineering career of success?
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share on creating a winning strategy for an engineering career of success.
Please leave your comments, feedback or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
The Engineering Career Coach
Author of Engineer Your Own Success