In this episode, I am going to talk to one of our listeners, Carl Humphrey, about challenges that he is facing around career planning and will give you some advice on how you can use your time wisely as an engineering professional. There were some very interesting strategies that we discussed in this episode that I believe apply to engineers at all experience levels considering how to chart the future of their career paths.
Here are the key points from this episode of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast:
- The key to time management is to make sure that you put the time that you do have towards what’s important to you and what’s important in respect to achieving your goals.
- When you have a time management issue, you must look at your personal as well as your professional goals and make sure that your time is focused on moving you closer to that goals.
- Consider doing extra work at any engineering company so you can put that on your resume. For example, maybe you volunteer to attend evening meetings so that you can advance your learning in a certain topic. You may not get compensated immediately in the way of salary, but it might pay off in the long term because of the knowledge you are gaining.
- Get super clear on your goals and make sure you are focused on things moving you towards your goals and that you are not getting off-track.
- Have a process that helps to bring you back on course, whenever you get off-track.
More in this episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, I will give you some actionable advice that you can apply to help you focus your time and energy.
About Carl Humphrey
Carl Humphrey was raised by good parents but he was a bit of a lost and wandering soul at times. Out of high school, he immediately jumped into the construction industry and learned so much but carried some demons about his past with him. Entering his thirties he knew life had more in store for him than what he had become. Starting with the spirit and branching into actions and behaviors, he exposed and examined everything that had gotten him thus far. Fast-forward to today, at this point, he has overcome many obstacles, and in doing so, he has realized that he wants to help those around him. You can follow his thoughts on his blog at www.waterebbandflow.com.
“Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.”
– Amos Bronson Alcott
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
This episode is brought to you by PPI, the leader of civil engineering FE or PE exam preparations. Use promo code CIVIL for 20% discount at PPI2Pass.com/coach
How can you use your time wisely as an Engineering Professional?
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share on effective time management.
Please leave your comments, feedback or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
The Engineering Career Coach
Author of Engineer Your Own Success