In episode 019 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, Mickey Addison, a career military officer, author, civil engineer and senior leader, teaches us what it takes to lead in a senior level position, how to handle organizational changes, and the role of mentoring and coaching in civil engineering leaders.
Here are some key points:
- On time management:
- Block time off to allow yourself to get off the desk
- Be present to the people around you
- Take personnel actions (things that affect one’s career)
- The more energy that you put in to being present to the people that you lead and work with, the higher performing team it becomes.
- When the leaders are engaged, the people are engaged.